We’ve all heard the news. It’s going to be a long winter. Whether you enjoy the cold and snow or not, the list of available activities in the winter goes significantly down, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to do. There is actually a lot to do in Ocean County and we’ve started a list of places to go, things to do, and events to check out this winter.
Ice skating can be fun for the whole family and there are quite a few places around where you can go.
- Ocean Ice Palace: https://www.oceanhockey.com/ocean-ice-palace/
- Winding River Skating Center: http://tomsriver.org/skating
- Howell Ice Arena: https://www.howellicearena.com/
Even though it’s cold outside, there is still so much to enjoy outdoors in Ocean County.
- The Ocean County Parks and Recreation has a great list of things to do here: http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/WebContentFiles/4290a9e4-7f37-4411-a11b-e8ff8983fafa.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1Cn6LoKdPGJYQMs4ksg9I59cMwot4ona4Qqb9o7DohydaQKA0qoc-6vr8
Enjoy the Arts
While some may find museums and are galleries boring, we think that if you expand your definition of a museum, you can find some really fun places to go.
- Insectopolis: Have little ones at home that love bugs? This is the place for you! http://www.insectropolis.com/
- Robert J. Novins Planetarium: Not just for space junkies anymore. The planetarium shows movies, has laser shows, kid-themed events, and much, much more. https://www.ocean.edu/planetarium/
- Ocean County Artists Guild: Showcasing 2 artists from Ocean County every month, a free trip here helps support the local arts. https://www.ocartistsguild.org/
- John F. Peto Museum: As described on their website: “To promote the legacy of John F. Peto, internationally renowned artist, by maintaining his home and studio as a working museum, by fostering educational opportunities in the arts and partnering with the larger community”. https://petomuseum.org/
- Exit 82 Theatre Company: A non-profit performing arts organization, they have comedy shows, parent’s night out events, and of course lots of wonderful productions. https://www.exit82theatre.com/
- Jay and Linda Grunin Center for the Arts: Located on the campus of OCC, this center is dedicated to giving Ocean County access to lots of great arts and entertainment. http://www.grunincenter.org/
Outside the box
- Laser Tag: Fun for the whole family in this 2-story arena. Looking to get rid of some extra energy when cabin fever sets in, laser tag is a great way to empty that energy tank. http://www.bounceaboutlasertag.com/
- Escape Rooms – There are quite a few in the area and every room is different so you can visit multiple times and get a new experience every time.
- Rage room – This one is just for the adults! While laser tag may be enough for the young ones to get rid of extra energy, the rage room allows adults to really let loose, have fun, and destroy some stuff! You can even bring your own things! https://www.rageroom.today/
- Axe throwing: Another fun activity for adults. Grab some friends and go throw some axes!
- Bury the Hatchet: https://burythehatchet.com/axe-throwing-toms-river-nj/
- Tomahawkin: https://www.tomahawkinaxe.com/
- Axeit 63: https://axeit63.com/
- Down the Hatchet: https://downthehatchetnj.com/
No matter the age, reason, or price range, there is always something to do if you look hard enough. We hope we’ve given you some ideas of ways to pass the time this winter.